Valentine’s Day is all about showing loved ones how much you care with… sugar! This morning I had the opportunity to share 4 healthier Valentine’s Day treats for kids on our local news, TMJ4. These treats would be perfect for a class party or afterschool snack.
What are some of your favorite Valentine’s Day treats? Leave them in the comments below!
Strawberry Sweetheart Smoothies
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 fresh banana, peeled
- 1 cup milk (I prefer almond milk in this one)
- ½ cup low-sugar apple juice
- 1 cup Ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Divide between 2 glasses and enjoy!
Be Mine Trail Mix
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup granola or cereal of choice
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup Valentine’s Day M&Ms
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand. Divide into small bowls or Valentine treat boxes and enjoy!
White Chocolate Strawberry Muffins
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 brown, ripe bananas
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, eggs, bananas, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped strawberries and scoop into 12 muffin tins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Cupid’s Taco Cups
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- Red tortilla chips
- Pour the rinsed pinto beans into a medium bowl and mash. Add the lime juice, cumin and garlic salt and mix well.
- Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons into the bottom of a shallow, clear glass. Top with 2 tbsp. salsa, 1 heaping tbsp. Greek yogurt and 1 heaping tbsp. shredded cheese. Repeat with all glasses. Serve with chopped red bell peppers and red tortilla chips.
Have you signed up for your free ebook yet?